RESOLVA is assisting Mastercard’s Global Regulatory Team with the recruitment of a Senior Legal Counsel to support the strategic development and implementation of regulatory culture in Mastercard’s recent acquisition of the Danish open banking fintech company AiiA, and the integration and growth of AiiA in the existing open banking business of Mastercard.
The role will focus on supporting the open banking business team and management in implementation of Mastercard’s open banking strategy in Europe. The ideal candidate will have the ability to think and act both strategically and tactically with respect to the needs of business clients and their objectives while ensuring that Mastercard remains compliant with existing regulatory obligations, reacts to regulatory threats and opportunities, and maintains good working relationships with key regulators.
As Senior Legal Counsel you will be physically located with the Mastercard open banking team in Copenhagen, Denmark, and report to the Senior Managing Counsel responsible for global open banking leadership within the Global Regulatory Affairs team, who is based in Belgium.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
As Senior Legal Counsel – Regulatory Affairs at Mastercard you will be responsible for:
- Ensuring that Mastercard’s open banking business, which, through the acquisition of AiiA, holds PISP and AISP licenses in Denmark, is compliant with all relevant legal and regulatory requirements.
- Performing regulatory scans of new Mastercard open banking products and services in Denmark and, with the assistance of external counsels, also in other European countries.
- Building and maintaining a strong working knowledge of laws and regulatory themes relating to payment services in Denmark and other European countries, in particular, on access to account provisions under the revised EU Payment Services Directive (PSD2), AML and broader corporate compliance requirements for regulated financial entities.
- Advising on regulatory obligations resulting from the fact that AiiA, as a regulated PISP/AISP provider in Denmark, constitutes part of Mastercard Group, including on intra-group outsourcing.
- Providing expert regulatory leadership, in particular by building out and maintaining strong relationships with key regulators.
- Managing outside counsel on relevant regulatory matters.
- Working cross-functionally with colleagues from other teams, including Regulatory Compliance, Legal Counsel, Public Policy, Privacy/Data Usage, Global Ethics and Compliance and Internal Audit.
- Advising on competition law strategy and compliance and supporting the Regulatory Compliance team by identifying regulatory obligations, including regulatory reporting.
- Monitoring and reviewing legislative proposals that may have an impact on Mastercard’s open banking business in Denmark and elsewhere in Europe and working with Public Policy to ensure that Mastercard’s voice is heard during legislative processes.
Education – Qualified lawyer (cand.jur. or cand.merc.jur.) with mid-level experience and solid legal foundation within relevant legal areas including IT/IPR, finance, corporate, commercial and competition law.
Financial Regulations – Experience with Danish financial services regulations, broader corporate compliance requirements for regulated financial entities, and regulatory themes relating to payment services in Denmark and other European countries, in particular PSD2 and AML.
FinTech / Open banking – Knowledge of innovative technologies relating to open banking and payment services, including digital and new payments solutions and platforms. Experience with advising authorized payment service providers in Denmark, specifically in relation to open banking, as well as experience with advising on competition law strategy and compliance, is a plus but not a requirement.
Language skills – Fluent in Danish and English (both written and spoken).
Business Acumen – Strong business acumen and solution orientated to ensure that a business makes informed risk-based decisions regarding new opportunities, markets, local initiatives and product and service offerings.
Team player – Good interpersonal skills with ability to work well in both team and individual settings and to share insights and learnings.
Analytical – Strong analytic capabilities and the ability to work on complex issues of significant importance, to juggle substantial competing demands and adapt to evolving priorities.
Great communicator – Excellent written and verbal communication skills combined with the ability to communicate complex regulatory issues in simple and concise terms.
MASTERCARD’S VALUE PROPOSITION:
Mastercard offers you the opportunity to become part of a global legal team with a strong professional environment offering best practices, sparring and support, and learning and development opportunities in Denmark and internationally. As a highly modern and international workplace, Mastercard embraces diversity and offers work conditions allowing a great work-life balance.
Mastercard offers you a competitive compensation package with various benefits, including an attractive pensions contribution scheme.
APPLICATION & CONTACT
If you recognise the profile we are looking for in yourself and find this opportunity attractive please submit your application with CV by clicking the button below or call Mikkel Falkenberg at RESOLVA on tel: +45 29993065 to hear more about the position.
We will be conducting interviews as applications come in on a continuing basis, so please send your application as early as possible.