RESOLVA is assisting Danske Bank’s Company Secretariat (“CoSec”) with recruitment of a talented corporate lawyer with substantial commercial experience and a strong understanding of decision-making processes in large organizations (both from a legal and commercial perspective) to take on the role as Chief Legal Counsel.
As Chief Legal Counsel you will be responsible for a range of critical processes and work streams directly linked to top management’s decision making, and you will be engaging with broad parts of Danske Bank’s various management layers that are involved in decisions, presentations and dialogues relevant to Danske Bank’s top management. This role therefore requires strong commercial and stakeholder management skills in addition to solid legal skills.
You will work in close cooperation with the Head of CoSec in supporting Danske Bank’s top management with support and advice relevant to a multitude of critical decision-making processes. It is therefore critical for you to have a keen interest and good understanding of the bank’s business areas and objectives, internal organization and stakeholders as well as the corporate governance and regulatory requirements of a major financial institution.
As Chief Legal Counsel at CoSec you will be responsible for:
- Ensuring the quality, relevance and consistency of decision proposals, presentations and meetings that involve the Executive Leadership Team or the Board of Directors, which are typically prepared by various leadership teams in the Danske Bank organization. As a key cooperation partner to the top management teams this role is not limited to legal formalities and entails substantial engagement with other functions and management teams in Danske Bank.
- Supporting and advising Danske Bank’s various Board committees that all play a key role in informing and preparing the Board of Director’s decision-making in respect to a broad range of business critical decisions.
- Supporting and advising Danske Bank’s top management in respect to various decision processes / critical corporate governance and related issues, and ensuring that the appropriate follow up from the organization and relevant reporting to top management is considered and implemented as part of the full decision process.
- Building and maintaining processes and good internal relationships with Danske Bank’s various leadership teams and group functions to ensure seamless and improved quality in all phases of critical decision-making processes.
- Working cross-functionally with colleagues from other corporate teams, including Group Legal, Group Strategy & Steering, Group Sustainability, Stakeholder Relations & Marketing, Group Finance, Group Compliance, Group Risk Management, Internal Audit, and various policy teams.
Reporting: Executive Vice President, Head of CoSec Frederik Bjørn
Titel: Chief Legal Counsel
Education: You are a qualified lawyer (cand.jur. or cand.merc.jur.) with minimum 7 years of experience and solid legal foundation practicing as a lawyer within relevant legal areas including corporate and commercial law.
Corporate governance: You have substantial experience with corporate governance and company law preferably from a larger corporate in the financial sector or similar heavily regulated industry. Detailed knowledge of stock exchange regulations is an advantage, but not a requirement.
Stakeholder management: You probably have experience in dealing with senior level executives or boards of directors, and you have great skills in dealing with a multitude of stakeholders in a large organization with diverse teams representing different professions and perspectives.
Business Acumen: A strong business acumen is a fundamental requirement as you need to be able to see the big picture and understand relevant details both from a legal and a commercial perspective. You need to be business orientated and inquisitive to test various decision proposals and ensure that management can make informed quality decisions.
Language skills: It is critical that you are fluent in Danish and English (both written and spoken) as support to management and dialogue with other management teams, corporate functions etc. is conducted in English.
Financial industry: Ideally, you have experience from the financial industry and with financial regulations, broader corporate governance requirements for regulated entities, and regulatory themes relating to financial institutions.
Great communicator: Your excellent written and verbal communication skills combined with your analytical skills and associated ability to communicate complex regulatory issues in simple and concise terms allow you to improve and simplify dialogues and decision processes.
DANSKE BANK´S VALUE PROPORSITION
Danske Bank offers you the opportunity to become part of a great team placed very close to the decision-making process in one of Denmark’s leading corporates. You will be part of a strong professional environment offering best practices, sparring and support, and substantial learning and development opportunities. Danske Bank offers you a competitive compensation package with various benefits, including an attractive pension contribution scheme.
About Danske Bank
Danske Bank is a leading Nordic financial institution with over 21,500 employees servicing 3,3 million personal and business customers, including more than 2,000 leading corporate and institutional customers. In addition to its business in the Nordics, Danske Bank operates in the UK, Ireland, Poland, Lithuania, and USA. For the financial year 2021 Danske Bank recorded a total revenue of DKK 42,5 billion, a net profit close to 13 billion, and a return on shareholder’s equity of 7,6%.
For more than 150 years, Danske Bank has strived to be a driver of growth and development in society. Danske Bank has developed in tandem with the societies it is part of, and its advisory services, expertise and financial solutions have helped a huge number of individuals, families, businesses, and organisations to realise their ambitions and potential.
A career with Danske Bank is an opportunity to join a community of talented colleagues in a culture where all are committed to Teaming Up, Owning It and Being Open. Together, the Danske Bank Team is on a journey to transform Danske Bank into a better bank – for Danske Bank’s customers, its employees and the societies around it.
Danske Bank’s Company Secretariat (“CoSec”) is a key support and advisory function for the Executive Leadership Team in Danske Bank as well as its Board of Directors. The team at CoSec works in close cooperation with top management on a broad range of matters requiring deep insight into best practices around corporate governance as well as a strong commercial and organizational understanding.
CoSec comprises 7 professionals, including 4 lawyers, with profound knowledge and experience from the bank, that all report to the Head of CoSec, Executive Vice President Frederik Bjørn, and are placed at Danske Bank’s headquarters since 1871 in Holmens Kanal in Copenhagen.