RESOLVA is assisting Novo Holdings with the recruitment of a senior and talented lawyer with substantial knowledge of and experience with financial regulation and general legal compliance, to take on a newly established role as Compliance Lead. The experience may come from a compliance role in a financial institution, private equity fund or another corporation subject to compliance requirements comparable to a financial institution.
As Compliance Lead, you will join the Danish part of Novo Holdings’ global legal team in Novo Holdings. The job as Compliance Lead offers you a unique opportunity to head up the compliance efforts in Novo Holdings and to take on the responsibility for ensuring legal compliance in relation to all aspects of Novo Holdings’ investment activities, working in close cooperation with other members of the legal team, colleagues across departments in the Novo Group, and potentially in the longer term with certain of Novo Holdings’ large portfolio companies. As a key focus area you will be responsible for identifying and advising on relevant financial regulations that apply to Novo Holdings’ activities from time to time.
As a trusted advisor, the compliance function will design and promote a solid compliance culture in Novo Holdings and ensure adequate awareness of and compliance with applicable laws, regulations and ethical standards.
You will equally support the organisation in the day-to-day business, including supporting from a compliance perspective on transactional projects (acquisitions, investments, divestments etc.) and attend to ad-hoc requests requiring specific compliance advice, as well as in the establishment of a general compliance framework.
There will be occasional travel activities associated with the role, primarily to Novo Holdings’ locations outside of Denmark.
In the role as Compliance Lead, you will head up the legal compliance efforts in Novo Holdings.
Your main tasks will consist of:
- Developing and implementing an overall legal compliance strategy for Novo Holdings.
- Identifying and advising on relevant financial regulations that apply to Novo Holdings’ current activities, or may apply in connection with an expansion of activities, including in relation to extending the framework for deployment of funds in connection with Novo Holdings’ portfolio investments.
- Advising on the regulatory implications of investment structures involving special purpose acquisition companies sponsored by Novo Holdings.
- In close collaboration and consultation with external advisors filing applications for relevant authorisations or registrations with supervisory authorities and handling all ongoing correspondence with, and inspections by, such authorities.
- Setting up procedures to comply with “Know-Your Customer” and “Anti-Money Laundering” requirements and advising colleagues in, particularly, the Finance team on incoming and outgoing requests.
- Establishing processes for sanctions screenings and implementing sanctions policies and guidelines applicable to the investment in portfolio companies, including implementing awareness in the organisation about such processes, policies, and guidelines during both the investment phase and the ownership phase.
- Ensuring compliance with applicable security integrity rules, including the Market Abuse Regulation, rolling out Novo Holdings’ Confidentiality Information Policy, maintaining insider lists, reviewing trading applications and responding to questions on the qualification of inside information.
- Designing, implementing and continuously optimising best-in-class policies and compliance procedures to comply with regulatory requirements and ethical standards.
- Undertaking various training sessions on regulatory compliance matters for the benefit of the organisation in general and in connection with onboarding of employees.
- Handling regular reporting to management on compliance related matters, and occasional reporting on compliance issues and incidents that may be identified.
Reporting to: General Counsel Barbara Fiorini Due
Title: Compliance Lead
Education: You are a qualified lawyer (cand.jur. or cand.merc.jur.).
Work experience: You have minimum 7 years of post-graduation experience from working as a lawyer in a top tier law firm and/or as inhouse counsel (preferable in a compliance role) in a large corporation, such as a financial institution (which could be a bank or a pension fund), an investment company (which could be a family office), a private equity fund or other corporation subject to financial regulation or operating within a regulated industry with comparable compliance requirement.
Legal compliance: You have solid experience with legal compliance within relevant areas, including the AIFM and other relevant financial regulations, and you may additionally have knowledge of or worked with sanctions, “Know-Your-Customer” and “Anti-Money-Laundering” requirements as well as with the Market Abuse Regulation.
Stakeholder management: You have excellent abilities in interacting and building relationships with internal and external stakeholders at all levels, including at senior executive level. You constructively balance legal and commercial interests, and you are comfortable with flagging and challenging processes and decisions that impose regulatory compliance risks.
International: You have an international outlook and experience from working in an international environment.
Language skills: You are fluent in Danish and English (both written and spoken).
Initiative: You are pro-active with a natural inclination to take initiative, make decisions and drive a process in a dynamic investment environment.
Structured: You have a thorough and structured approach and appreciate the value of operationalising legal compliance with the aim of improving results and reporting.
Communication: You have strong written and verbal communication skills and are able to communicate complex regulatory issues in simple and concise terms to various stakeholders. In your communication, you are able to find the right balance between being detail-oriented and structured.
Responsibility: You take responsibility and are capable of setting priorities and juggling multiple demands while maintaining the overview and adhering to deadlines. You are good at finding practical solutions.
Integrity: You have a strong work ethic and personal and professional integrity.
Collaberation: You contribute with a positive attitude and a team-oriented and collaborative mind-set. You have experience with and appreciate working with diverse teams representing different professions and perspectives.
Working at Novo Holdings
A career with Novo Holdings is an opportunity to join a community of dedicated and talented professionals in a dynamic work environment which is driven by purpose and values.
Novo Holdings strives to create an environment where people can develop to their full potential, and you will be offered substantial learning and development opportunities.
You will be offered a competitive compensation package with various benefits, including an attractive pension contribution scheme.
Novo Holding is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace and therefore recruits with the purpose of hiring the best talent who can contribute with their unique perspectives and experience to make a positive impact on people’s health and the sustainability of society and the planet.
About Novo Holdings
Novo Holdings A/S is the holding and investment company of the Novo Group and is wholly owned by the Novo Nordisk Foundation – one of the world’s largest foundations. Novo Holdings employs more than 150 professionals across its offices in Copenhagen, Boston, San Francisco, London, Singapore and Shanghai.
Novo Holdings is responsible for managing the operating and financial assets of the Novo Nordisk Foundation. The purpose of the investments of Novo Holdings is both to grow the assets of the Novo Nordisk Foundation and to deliver a return that the Novo Nordisk Foundation can distribute for scientific, social, planetary, and humanitarian purposes in order to improve the lives of people and the sustainability of society. The Life Science Investments teams at Novo Holdings include Seeds, Ventures, Bioindustrials, Growth, Asia and Principal Investments. In addition, Novo Holdings also manages a broad portfolio of investments outside the life science sector through the Novo Capital Investors team, including investments in listed equities, credits and bonds, private equity and real assets.
By end 2021, Novo Holdings had investment assets totaling approximately USD 100 billion and is recognised as a leading global life science investor across all stages of the life science development cycle.
The headquarters are situated just north of Copenhagen in Hellerup.
Novo Holdings’ legal team consists of 7 strong commercial/M&A lawyers based in Copenhagen (4), Boston (1) and San Francisco (2). All lawyers in the legal team currently report to General Counsel, Barbara Fiorini Due, who bears the overall responsibility for the legal, regulatory and legal compliance affairs of Novo Holdings.
The legal team is involved in all legal and regulatory workstreams across Novo Holdings’ investment activities and interacts with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders in the various jurisdictions, where Novo Holdings operates. Within the Novo Group, there is a strong cooperation between legal teams, and Novo Holdings has a particularly close cooperation with the legal team in the Novo Nordisk Foundation, especially in relation to certain regulatory and compliance related tasks.
The legal team is recognised as a key contributor to Novo Holdings’ many investment activities and continuously strives to develop and strengthen its competencies and performance with the objective of delivering outstanding results and building knowledge and strong relationships within the Novo Group.